Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Sunday 7 October 2012

Week 40 - Negative and toxic people


This is a challenge I have been dealing with lately and it is one that I found quite difficult. I started this about a year ago and have continued to “detox” my life. This can be difficult at times and was really hard but I’ve managed it.
I suppose it was a case of them or me and I matter more.  I looked at all my relationships and asked one question – Do the relationship drain me or does it enrich me? 

Sometimes it is hard to answer this question and it takes time to work it out but work it out I did. It took a lot of time and at times it really hurt.  One of the people I’ve removed (that’s a tough word – how about lessened contact with) from my life was my best friend of 25 years. We’d been through thick and thin but a year ago things changed.
We both changed and grew – in our case we grew apart. It is ok and I feel better for it but (yes there is always one of them) there are times you want your bestie. When my sister was in hospital and the subsequent weeks after her death I needed somebody – not my family but somebody to listen, to cry to, to tell my fears, to vent my anger just somebody to listen to me.  So I called her and it was ok, it wasn’t what it was but it was what I needed.

We sorted of kept in contact but we both know it will never be the same. But it was what it was. Over the last week she lost a close family member and I found out via Facebook.  So I called her mum to offer my condolences, I was very close to her mum and well I love her. I called her too and it was ok – not great but I let her know I was there for her.  I will be attending the funeral and I will offer all support but I also know it will never be the same.
So toxics have been removed but a lingering taste remains. It will be tough for many reasons but it is something I have to do.

I have also been removing other toxic people from my life. Whilst I can’t remove all at the moment I am distancing myself from them and limiting contact.
Now the fun begins – filling the spaces with new friends.  I’ve met some really great people lately.  By freeing up my time and regaining some energy I’ve been able to take on new challenges and meet new people that raise me up instead of dragging me down.

So whilst it is hard to detox………. it is so much fun and such a happy time meeting new like minded people.

thanks Deb (http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/simplify-your-life-week-41-marriage/)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm it's hard losing friends - especially such long term friends. But you have to do what's best for you. I'm glad you are meeting some great people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bec, it is tough but very important. things were toxic and I had to move on. to be honest I had probably moved on ages ago and I was just hanging on for the sake of the friendship. I saw her last week at a funeral. It was tough but had to be done and I am so glad I went. We have both changed and I know now more than ever that it was the right thing to do. I will always cherish our memories and care about her but I no longer want to do the same old things we used to do. I am much happier now. Thanks for dropping by and all your support. xoox

    ReplyDelete