Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 25 February 2012

52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Happiness

Happiness - this will be a breeze, I know what makes me happy. Well I thought I did, I was almost sure I did, I had a few ideas, I sort of know what makes me happy…. Ok maybe I don’t know at all. So once again Deb( http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/simplify-your-life-week-nine-go-easier-on-yourself/#more-3158) has given me a great challenge.

I’ve been thinking about this all week and wondering what does make me happy.  Yes this does sound a bit strange, let me explain. 
In the simplest of terms:
                Instead of really looking at what makes me happy I’ve been getting caught up in what I think should make me happy.  What looks good, what is PC, what others expect to make me happy.

I didn’t want to go down the old track of pleasing others I want this to be about me! If it’s not then I am not learning anything, I am only talking the talk and not walking the talk.  There is only one way to approach this (for me anyway).  Looking at each part of the challenge and working through them word by word, bit by bit and creating my lists……
What makes me happy......
I suppose this is the crux of the matter- what makes me happy. I have lots of things that make me happy and I have listed them in the next part of the blog. I do understand that I am not happy all the time but in general I am a happy person and I live a joyful life.

What stands in my way?
This is far easier for me to answer than what makes me happy – confidence, being seen to do what is right, not putting myself first. Laziness. Fear of the unknown. I am the greatest obstacle to my happiness and I am constantly standing in my own way.  I am reminded of the quote “you are only as happy as you allow yourself to be”.  Sometimes I don’t think I deserve to be happy so I sabotage myself, I don’t do the things that make me happy.  My life is fairly simple I don’t have any major worries, nothing disastrous has occurred and my life is good so why shouldn’t I live a happy life?
 How do I overcome these hurdles?
I need to allow myself to be happier, it’s ok to be happier.  Yes there are people in the world that have tough lives, it’s not my fault and me being happy doesn’t take anything away from them. It is ok to be happy.  It is ok to spend my time being happy. It is ok to seek happiness.  It is almost as if I feel guilty when I am happy, sometimes I think there are competitions to see how miserable our lives are. When you speak to friends and you compare your day it’s wow my day was so busy – this happened and then they fire back with yes I know but this happened to me and you try to out do each other in the “my day was so bad” stakes. It’s almost as if it is a badge of honour if your day was worst then somebody else’s.  
I think it is really important to share the good and the bad times with loved ones and I totally understand that friends, good friends are there to listen to and provide support during tough times. It should also work the other way.   When you are honest and say that you are happy, or that everything is going really well it is like you don’t deserve it and you should be guilty. Almost like a right of passage and that you have to have really bad days because you don’t deserve good days.
Ok this is a bit harsh but it is how I’ve been feeling lately, I’ve been feeling really good about myself and happier than I have been in a long time. Unfortunately when I’ve mentioned this to a friend of mine the reaction I got wasn’t what I expected, she said “well you’ve been saying that for a while haven’t you”.  I got the distinctive feeling that my happiness was not what she wanted to hear and I suppose it is why we haven’t spoken much lately and maybe I’ve realised that the only thing we had in common was complaining and whinging about our lives and the fact that I am not complaining anymore has left us with nothing to talk about.  What is that old saying “misery loves company”.
I used to spend a lot time thinking about, worrying about and seeking happiness but now I am happier. I now actually spend a lot of time being happy, doing things that make me happy.  I am 48 years old and until recently I spent a lot of my time chasing happiness trying to find happiness without realising that I was actually very happy and that I didn’t need to be searching all the time. In a nutshell what I really needed to do was to do the things I liked to do and this made me happy.

 So instead of doing things that made other people happy all the time, thinking that if they were happy then I would be happy too I started do things that made me happy too and you know what our lives are so much better. I no longer think that what makes other people happy should be what makes me happy. Don’t get me wrong it is fantastic to share things with like minded people but it is also ok to like different things and to find happiness in different places.  What I am trying to say  (very clumsily) is that for far too long I used think that I had to like what other people liked to be happy and that until I started doing the things I liked I had never known true happiness.  I spent many years pretending so I would be like, so I would be seen to do the right thing. 
So what I would prefer to play computer games instead of doing housework, so what if I would rather learn about angels than sit and watch a TV show. Please don’t get me wrong I still respect other people’s likes and dislikes, I enjoy being with people with different interests. The difference is that I don’t need to like somebody else’s interests to be happy and I no longer believe that my interests are inconsequential. The truth is I was trying to be somebody I wasn’t and until I found myself I had no chance of being happy. 
What makes me happy ------ the big happiness picture for me is doing what I want, when I want, with whoever I want to.  Pretty simple isn’t it.  I made a list, a huge list of all the things that I like doing but the truth of it is different things make me happy and the list would be too big to put in this blog (which is already too big).  For me being happy basically the following:
                Being a person of value,
              Earning and giving respect, love, care, friendship
              Spending time being with people that matter to me
              Spending time doing the things I enjoy

I had a look at my huge list of things that make me happy and I am very lucky I actually doing something everyday that makes me happy. Yes it does sound very corny but I am a happy person and I am blessed enough to be able to spend time each day doing what makes me happy.  Maybe I should do the housework instead or some other boring stuff but I don’t.  I am very fortunate that each day I am able to:

                Go for a walk, talk with my loved ones, go to work, interact with people, play computer games, go onto facebook, learn something (if I want to), read, smile. The list goes on and on, these are all things I do and can do if I want.
I have one more ingredient that I’d like to add into the mixture, sometimes you have to have a few bad days to know how good the good days really are.  This is something that I truly believe, I don’t expect each day to be perfect, I know that some days are bad but I also know that it will pass and that in the greater scheme of things my life is great and I have a fantastic life that is filled with so many wonderful and positive people but more importantly I am happy and that I am responsible for my own happiness.  If I’m not happy then it is up to me to fix it.

As I am writing this I am watching Neil Diamond’s Hot August Night Concert – Song Sung Blue is on and I had forgotten how much l loved the song.  Please forgive my indulgence as I share some of the words with you.
Me and you are subject to the blues now and then
But when you take the blues and make a song
You sing them out again

Song sung blue, Weeping like a willow
Song sung blue, Sleeping on my pillow

Funny thing, but you can sing it with a cry in your voice
And before you know it, start to feeling good
You simply got no choice”


Thanks Deb for reminding me that not only do  I have a lot to be happy for but that I am very happy with my life and enjoy what I have each and every day.


10 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote You are only as happy as you allow yourself to be!!!!!!!!! I am going to write that up and print it out, i think that is my stumbling block too!! It is sad isnt when we realise that our 'friends' are not actually true friends when thy sabatoge our happiness or are not there for the good times. At least you are in a good place and can recognise this in your friend. Perhaps she is miserable in her life - but dont let her bring you down, i think you are doing a fantastic job through this SYL challenge, and it is a hard thing to put ourselves out there and its great that you are HAPPY :) And wow good on you for having a mantra - "doing what I want, when I want, with whoever I want to" HAHA love this too. That just made me smile, i think i should print that off too and place it on the fridge for everyone to see!!! But yes happiness is all about being our true selves. Well done rita, loved your post again xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula, I appreciate you dropping by and your comments. Yes i loved the quote too and it makes so much sense. I am loving the SYL challenge, it is so much fun. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post Rita! I'm really enjoying following you in the SYL challenge. I think you have hit the nail on the head saying you have to do what makes YOU happy. I just read a quote the other day too something about stop looking for happiness and it will find you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bec, I am loving these challenges and reading all the posts. I agree when we try to hard we don't find happiness. Being grateful for what we have and just being in the moment is also important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Rita, what good, honest things to be happy with in life, looks like you took a lot of time to think of this post, and got a lot from it, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for dropping by and your comments. I really enjoyed this challenge and it helped me to understand that I have so much to be grateful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your friend could use a bit of happiness herself! And maybe some tact to go with it! I love how we can start these challenges thinking they'll be easy but when you actually sit down to think about it/write about it it turns out much harder, and much more rewarding than you could imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aroha, Yes I think you are right and for a long time I was the same. I always found the negatives, but now I have a different outlook and I need to remember how long it took me to get here. I miss her though, we were very close and its sad that we have grown apart. Hopefully we wil find each other again. I have to agree I am loving these SYL challenges, I am so glad I found Deb.

      Delete
  8. fabulous - interesting about your friend too - one of my issues when my mother visited at Christmas was I had changed enough that her nagativity stood out so much to me and was driving me crazy (her very first hour in our home included 3 different whinges / complaints) - i know it is normal in NYC and it is not a "happy go lucky" city, but it brought me down straight away and I did not want to be around negativity like that even if it was meant casually.

    Love that you were watching Neil Diamond - one of my favourite guys! (not very cool of me but i have always loved him and have several albums on my ipod including he one you were watching)

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, I know what you mean it is really hard when you change and loved ones don't. What you have in common no longer exists or means as much to you or them. If you love something set if free if it comes back its yours if it doesn't it never was.... this means so much more to me now.
      I saw Neil Diamond in concert in Melbourne about 20 years ago.. he was awesome.
      :)

      Delete