Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Friday 13 January 2012

52 Week Challenge - Week 2 challenge:

 Go through the process and define your top 5 core values including ranking themnesty

Try not to become a person of success. Rather become a person of value. 
Albert Einstein

This week’s challenge from Deb at http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/52-weeks-to-simplify-your-life-challenge/ had me thinking long and hard, heading down one track and then doing a couple of U-turns and heading off in another direction but finding my way back to the first well worn track.
Narrowing it down was really difficult and after day one I wasn’t sure I’d found the right words to describe the values I have or is it the values I want. This is the crux of the challenge this week for me, are the values I listed ones I have or ones I want.

I’m going to dissect each one and see how I go:

Honesty – very important to me, honesty is everything.  The good the bad and the ugly as long as it is honest. Very important for anybody, family, group, friend, workplace, community or anywhere.
Integrity being an upstanding person that does everything right is this important to me or is just so I am seen to do the right thing.  I didn't really want to put this one in as it makes me sound like such a fuddy duddy but being honest (we all know how important that is to me) I had to include this one even if it makes me sound really boring.

Understanding and empathy for people, walking a mile in another person’s shoes.  For me this is very important and works in all areas of my life. Understanding family, friends, community,  workplace and importantly me.
Sincerity this is about being honest not only with myself but with others. Also about being true to myself. Yes there is a bit of a theme happening here - even thought I tried to get away from it I just couldn't. This is what makes me the person I am.
Peacefulness – its not peace, or being a pacifist, its about living a peaceful life without conflict in any form. This is very important and works in very well with my other values.  All roads lead to peace.

I still wasn't sure that these were the right ones.  Another way I looked at it was  'what do I value in others' or 'what don’t I like in others…….'.
When I looked at the values I like in others I came up with similar values but this wasn’t enough for me so looked at it in another way. I decided to create categories and then put values under the categories to come up with the top value in each category and hopefully I will be on the way to my 5 core values.

In no particular order the categories and the core value for each category are :
Community - Understanding
Family - Sincerity
Work - Integrity
Me – Peacefulness
Friends- Uplifting

This is very interesting – there were a lot of similar values in both my lists.  As much as I would love to include determination, listening, support, manners, respect, work ethic, kindness, learning and the many others I culled from my top 5 I guess it is the difference between what is and what you want it to be. Something for me to aim for and maybe in a couple of months if I attempt this challenge again these values may change.
Looking back to move forward……. I see it as it is:  Honesty, peacefulness, integrity, understanding and sincerity these are my values.

Yep, that’s Me!




16 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you did an awesome job with this weeks challenge! I love the idea of dividing the values into categories... that might be todays job! Valuing Integrity doesn't make you a fuddy duddy, it really means you value when people say what they mean and mean what they say, and live by the same standard.
    Welcome to blogworld!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thanks for your comments - I struggled with trying to find my values and dividing into categories was the only way I could tackle it. I haven't stopped smiling ..... my sister's favourite saying is "say what you mean and mean what you say without being mean about it". I suppose that incorporates my integrity and my mum's words of "be nice to each other". I am really enjoing these challenges and reading other people's posts.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done :) your values are very reflective and sound peaceful just reading your reasons behind them!!! IT was a difficult thing to think about and narrow down so well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula, thanks - I did find it very difficult this week for a number of reasons but I suppose that's why its called a challenge :)
    Peace means alot to me - living a peaceful life filled with integrity, honesty and good times. I am really pleased you picked up on the peacefulness......... I look forward to reading everyone's challenge this week.
    Shine on in 2012.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list and your honesty (which happened to be first on your list) - don't worry about being a fuddy duddy or boring - be true to yourself. Look forward to following what else you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Pats, Honest is very important to me, always has been. thanks for dropping by.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. We have a few similar values, especially the first one! I love that you recognise yourself in your final list of values. I got hubby to read my blog this week and when he finished reading he said "yep, that's exactly you" :) that's when I felt confident that I'd taken the right path and got the right answer.

    I can't wait to set some goals now, I see some things in your blog that I'd like to work towards this year :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much Casojaha, it was a really hard one. I always find it hard to look inside and find out about me. I look forward to reading your values.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rita, they're great. I don't think integrity is about doing things right, but wanting to do things right. we all make mistakes, and that is ok, it's having the ability to recognise this and make right. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments Mandy. It was a tough challenge this week. I believe mistakes help us learn and I agree totally with you its the wanting to do the right thing, sometimes mistakes are made and what is right for you may not be right for others. For me this is where understanding comes in. Thanks for dropping by.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed reading your post this week! I too love the way you broke it down - a really interesting way of looking at the challenge :) And I don't think you're a fuddy-duddy at all for choosing integrity (unless I am one too!); I chose dependibility as one of my values for much the sames reasons. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vickki thanks for dropping by. As hard as it was I got alot from this week's challenge. I like dependibility as a value. One to work on for the future for me. Thanks again Vikki.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great post Rita. I like that you were able to document your thought process as you arrived at your final five values :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Thingsforjenn, I appreciate you dropping by and your comments.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your chosen value words especially understanding which really includes much of what i strive for in serving others, empathy, compassion etc

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Deb, I really think understanding is so important not only of others but of ourselves. Thanks so much for setting such awesome challenges. You are amazing.
    Shine on in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete