Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 7 April 2012

52 Week Challenge

Time management and planning

I have always been very good at planning but not so good at time management.  Doesn’t make much sense does it.
I make lots of plans but I don’t always carry them out, I make lists about making lists – ok that is a bit tongue in cheek but not that far from the truth. In every aspect of my life I make lists but I often don’t carry out everything on the lists.  Yes I even make lists about doing housework and no I don't do everything on that list either - I kown that surprises you given my previous admissions about how much I love housework.

So the challenge for me is to manage my time so I can complete all the tasks on my lists.
Pretty simple isn’t it.  You would think so…….

Actually it is when you break it down. I checked out all the different examples that Deb provided and came up with a design that will work for me.  What I’ve done is create a weekly task list which incorporates a number of things – to do lists, birthdays, Merman’s work schedule and soccer training/games, appointments, weekly meal plan, shopping list, weekly and monthly goals.


For me it has to be the KISS principle – Keep it simple stupid and this is what I came up with.

Last week I actually cleared off the notice board and found that there is lots of space where I can display things.  I will be putting up this plan each week and managing my/our time, I can already see benefits in having a plan. I am reorganising my days as I’ve taken on the role of Manager for Merman’s soccer team and I want to work on a few of my goals. By putting my lists in a plan I can see when I have time to dedicate to specific things.  It also lets the fellas know what’s going on for the week especially now that Merman has a part time job.

Thanks Deb, I didn’t think that this week would be such a challenge and well maybe it isn’t but it is definitely a great help and has been an eye opener for me.  So it is true you can teach old dog new tricks.
My first plan was quite easy to put together, I’ve set myself some guidelines:
            Clear
            Not too many things – only the big stuff
            Everyone gets a mention
            Realistic – it has to be achievable
            Including my weekly and monthly goals to keep me motivated

It will be interesting to check in next week to see if I’ve been able to follow these guidelines and if I need to change them.
It’s a funny thing I use a plan for my work and it makes so much sense to use one at home too but I hadn’t thought of it before. 

Another lesson learnt. Another step forward in my journey to living a simple and organised life.
http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/time-management-setting-priorities/#more-3561
           

8 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I love how you have set guidelines for your plan. I look forward to reading how you continue with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Bec, I tried to keep it simple, too much effort usuallymeans I don't continue..... cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Rita - i love your weekly planner you came up with - keeping it somewhere you see is a big part of actioning things - let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by Deb, I should be thanking you. Without your suggestions I wouldn't have come up with my planner. Being up on the notice board is important for me to see each day but also for the hubby and child to see everyday. I actually saw my child checking it out yesterday..... thanks again Deb. I am loving these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to have it on a noticeboard where you are reminded daily. Isn't it funny how sometimes in our work lives we can be so good at time management/planning and totally opposite at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyndal, thats what I really like about SYL challenges it gets me thinking about how to simplify things and develop once and use many times. Thanks for dropping by. Take care :)

      Delete
  5. I have an almost empty noticeboard on my wall! You have just made me realise that it is the perfect place for the weekly planner I am going to make. Thank you Rita. I love your KISS approach, it is the way I need to do things as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have always lead a very organised work life but not so much at home, that's why I am doing the SYL12 challenge also (am currently catching up therefore checking out week 14 posts)Your weekly planner in such a prominent spot is sure to be a time management winner :D

    ReplyDelete