Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Thursday 5 January 2012

Looking Back to Move Forward

Last year I started a journal to help me change some bad lifestyle habits and to help me reduce weight. One month later 24 Chapters were written and I’d like to share some of my writing with you.
It is Time!
 
                I have spent the last 28 years eating and drinking whatever and whenever with periods of dieting in between.  I’d lose weight only to put it back on and then some. The typical yo yo  dieter.

I can categorically say I am an emotional eater/drinker:

                When I am happy I eat/drink

                When I am sad I eat/drink

                When I am lonely I eat/drink

                When I’m enjoying good/bad company I eat/drink

I think you get the picture.

Thirty years of adulthood brings ups and downs as with all people I’ve had mine too.  Nothing major, nothing out of the ordinary – marriage, birth, moves, deaths, new friends and old friends moving on.  Just life!

During this time I celebrated and consoled myself with food and drink.  I took the easy way out when cooking and eating.   Quick and easy meals usually containing heaps of fat and kilojoules.  I cooked meals for convenience not nutritional value. 
During this time I spent a large amount of time and effort going on diets and then just as much time and effort going off them.  I lost weight but then put it back on usually twice as much as I lost.

So here I am 48 years old, married for 28 years with a 15 year old son and not liking the skin (and rolls of fat) I’m in.
Hands up if anyone else feels the same? Here we go we are going to find our spot in this world and where we want to be.

I could go on and on about why I want to change but if I look into my heart of hearts the one true reason is because its time.  Simple as that………. It’s time.  For too long I’ve hidden behind excuses, I’ve had enough and now I am going to change!
I’ve found my inspiration and I want you to join me on my journey.  Come on let’s share some laughs together, wipe away a few tears and most importantly learn from each other.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on deciding that this is YOUR year! I think we can all relate to not being happy with the current weight (and as you delightfully pointed out, eating because we are unhappy :P) look forward to reading your journey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Lyndaal, Its taken me along time to really understand what is behind my weight and more importantly how to tackle it. I hope my journey can help others understand their weight issues and maybe just maybe help them on their journey. I am very excited to be on the SYL challenge and feel it will be an amazing year. Look out 2012 here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your first blog!!! Its an exciting time for you and i am looking forward to following you along!!! I understand totally all of what you said - but i still have excuses about my eating habits!!! Congratulations on making the step to change!!!
    www.pjg2012.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, Thank you very much. It is very difficult to change our habits esp if they are long standing habits. I suppose it comes down to our belief system and what we really want. I have hidden behind my weight for too many years and now I am ready to step out from behind the bad habits and start making the changes I need to make to live a healthier life. I am very excited about SYL challenges and the journey I am begining. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a lot in common Rita! I've also decided that this is my year and my first (and possibly hardest) step is to get rid of the excuses!

    It's simple really, I weigh too much because I don't eat well enough and I don't exercise. I even have a gym membership that I continue to pay for and not use. There is no excuse, I just don't go.

    I can't wait to spend the next year getting to know so many people who are already a lot like me :) All the best to us both!
    Jo
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your blog Rita, certainly know where you are coming from with the weight thing. Look forward to following your journey, and sending support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jo, I agree with you we spend so much time making excuses that we loose sight of what really are trying to achieve. It isn't easy but I think it is very important to understand why we find excuses and why we don't do what we know would be good for us. Looking back to move forward.
    I agree with you I am looking forward to this year it is going to be amazing. It has already started out really good. Take care and I look forward to getting to know you better.
    Look out 2012 here we come.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Wendy, I appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rita! Fantastic idea - wishing you the most wonderful experience through your journey. Looks like you will have plenty of support. You know as well as I do - this has taken a lot of courage and I admire you for doing so. Keep on looking for those butterflies.

    When is the book going to be published. I would love the first signed copy...

    Take Care
    "Say what you mean, mean what you say without being mean about it."

    Word Harmony

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yvonne, Thanks soo much for your support. couldn't have done it with your your support and belief in me. Yes the first signed copy will be yours. Hopefully I get it published soon, fingers crossed.
    take care :)

    ReplyDelete