Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 15 September 2012

Week 37 Self Care

Self care is one of the most important changes I have made and to be honest it is the one I needed to make the most.   I no longer think it is selfish to do something for yourself, to spend time on yourself I actually think it is a necessity.

I think this is so important, actually it is something that for many years was lacking in my life until just recently.
I always thought people were selfish when they did things for themselves, put themselves first.  I’d see people making time for doing things for themselves whether it be at lunch time evening or weekends. A couple of years ago this started to change for me and has been on the improve ever since.

I had it wrong it isn’t about being selfish at all.  It is about taking care of yourself so you can keep going and caring for others.
I decided a while ago to change but the hard thing for me was how to change…. A life time of thinking that I had to put everyone first and me second took a bit to change.  So here I am nearly 49 years and I’ve been married for nearly 29 years and I decide to change……… How?

The first step for me was simplifying my life (thanks Deb….http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/health-wellness-update/) – I am well on my way now but to be honest there were a few tough times and I didn’t’ feel I was moving in the direction I wanted.   I was still putting myself second and not focussing on myself. I was thinking that It was enough that I was doing some things but well it wasn’t.
With the passing of my sister, things changed and to be honest all I seem to do lately is taking care of myself.  No that is wrong – I am making time for the things I want to do and I am also taking care of everything else.  I’ve even taken on some extra responsibilities (Dad and work).

Each week I am going to the gym 3 or 4 times, I am attending a “heal yourself workshop”, meditation session once a week, regular pedicure and haircuts when I need it.  I am spending time on myself and enjoying it.  It may not be regular but I make sure I schedule times into my weekly plan. You know what I still find time to take care of everything else.
Self care – luxury no I say it is a necessity.

2 comments:

  1. Rita, it's a strong voice is ringing through this message. It's fantastic that you are taking time for yourself, you're right - it's not selfish! And it seems like you are still fitting in all the other 'important' things while maintaining a balance of things for just you. Pretty inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your last words..."luxury no I say it is a necessity"...so true! Yet sometimes hard to change our habits. Keep up the good work, it is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete