Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 8 September 2012

Week 36 - Beauty and Fashion Rituals.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder……………..
This week is a tough one for me as I don’t do the beauty and fashion thing well or at all – if I am being honest.
Being overweight I have always hidden behind the excuses of I don’t need to spend the time on beauty and fashion – what does it matter I won’t look good anyway…….when I loose some weight I can get new clothes

Oh yeah lets not forget my all time favourite…… I will work on my inner beauty and that is all that matters.
Well here I am nearly 49 years old and where has it got me.  Yep still overweight, inner beauty has been and always will be awesome and no distinct fashion style.

I’ve been thinking about this all week and trying to work out what I want.  Is it to follow fashion and be like everyone else, or is it to be myself and what is myself……………..
No to being like everyone else so what is my fashion style.

My sister was very much into coordination – all colours must match and styles have to go together. She spent a lot of time and money on creating each of her ‘looks’.  It was so much fun watching her get ready – it is one of the many things I will miss. But it isn’t the thing for me.
I love scarves and I use them to dress up or dress down an outfit. I have declutter my wardrobe (thanks to Debhttp://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/simplify-your-life-week-37-self-care/) I have got rid of a lot of clothes and I don’t buy anything new unless I really “love it madly or need it badly”.

I am at the gym and eating better and have started my weight reduction journey so fashion is on the back burner for me at the moment – for a fresh look I will add a new scarf or two……
Ok that is fashion sorted for now.  What about beauty?

I don’t do this very well. I don’t spend the time, not that is not true  I could always make time I don’t feel the need to do the whole make up thing.  What I need to do is a few basic things – I have very  dry skin and I don’t moisturise enough and I am a little bit hairy after the winter so there are two things I know I can work on.
There is an add running here in Canberra at the moment about a hairy caterpillar that sits at home because she is too hairy to go out in public until she goes to a hair removal place and a beautiful butterfly emerges.  So its time for this hairy caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly.

 Ok so I’ve got a plan…. This time I didn’t make a list but it’s ok because a plan is just as good as a list.
Each day I will moisturise twice a day – whilst saying my affirmations and each week I will use my foot bath, soak my feet and shave my legs. 

Sounds like beauty is on its way to being sorted out…….. lets see how I go over the next few weeks and then I might add another ‘beauty’ thing to the daily activities.
Wow what a couple of weeks this has been :

Promotion at work, Heal your life workshop, Going to the gym, Working on the wardrobe,              Taking a few beauty steps

 I am finding peace in finding myself.

               

4 comments:

  1. You have been so strong throughout this difficult time. Ive been so inspired by your positivity. 'Love it madly or need it badly' - I need to follow that motto. I need a new look but have also concentrated more on the inner. I just seems much easier than looking in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for your kind words. It has been tough and some days are really tough but to be honest I am at peace. All this extra work on myself has helped. I have found another motto I like..... Anger is punishing yourself for others mistakes.... I really like that one. I am getting rid of anger in my life. As part of HYL I have to do mirror work and while it was really tough int he begining it is getting easier and I actually really enjoy it. Find something your like and then acknowledge it, then find something else you like and so on. It really works. Good luck and thanks for dropping by. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, such great mottos...."love it madly or need it badly" and your one above about anger. The thing I have loved most about following you on your Simplify Your Life journey has been your commitment to staying true to yourself. Even in this challenge about fashion and beauty, you admired your sister "looks" but know that it is not for you. I love the idea of tying in your affirmations while moisturizing...I am going to try that! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so mucy Bethmarie, I love these challenges. I've learnt some much from Deb and the others doing these challenges. Thanks for dropping by. :)

    ReplyDelete