Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 2 June 2012

52 Week Challenge - week 21


52 week challenge – week 21

Home audit

Here it is Sunday morning and I’ve only just read the challenge for the week.  I checked it out on Monday and the put it aside.  Procrastination – maybe but well it has been a tough week, work is a bit crazy at the moment and most days I’ve been working 12 hours so it is what it is.

Thanks to Deb (http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/declutter-your-stuff/)  I’ve not been beating myself up, I’ve taken it in my stride and I accept that during the tough weeks that not everything gets done when it should. I’ve learnt to simplify my life and understand that I am enough and that if I prioritise, set goals, make my lists I will get through everything.  If I stop thinking about it and just get on with it everything will be done.

So here it is Sunday morning, muffins baked, apricot bites setting in the fridge, soccer emails sent and its time to look at the home audit.

I like the idea of changing what I can.  After living in our home for 15 years of course there are things that I would like to change, but more importantly there is clutter.  We were in the Air Force and we moved every six years – this was great because we would have a big clean up every time we moved – we decluttered instead of packing.  It was a good way to keep the home in order but now that we have left the Air Force and set roots into the Canberra Community I’ve found that my house is bursting at the seams.  We have too much stuff!
I’ve been far too sentimental and kept too much and this is one thing I am looking at seriously – I want to keep things from our past, I want to have my memories surrounding me. As I write this a thought has just occurred to me. Keeping memories is very important to me but does it have to clutter the house. Instead of the way I do things I could change it.  I could put a bit of order into the memories, get a few big containers and file them away (in an easy way to recover them when I want). Maybe instead of keeping items I could write about them and add photos – sort of scrapbooking with more words. Yes this does sound simple and for heavens sake why didn’t I think of this before.  I love writing and well scrapbooking is ok too.  MMM I will have to put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Deb for setting another Challenge that has hit the mark.


5 comments:

  1. Great idea about your memories Rita!! And you have come such a long way..I love the way you are going easy on yourself, realising you are enough and prioritising!! That's huge..well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bec, thanks so much for dropping by and you very kind comments. I must admit I am feeling so good lately. Simplyfing my life and home is the best thing I've done. Thanks for joining me on the journey and your support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for going easy on yourself Rita! It is such a liberating thing to have learned from this challenge :)

    Writing about your memories is a fantastic idea. I can imagine future generations getting a whole lot out of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have some great ideas for dealing with some of your clutter! Sounds like you are making really good progress in many different areas! Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts make me smile every time Rita - just hearing you process things and give yourself a break while continuing to move forward is amazing! LOVE that you connected keeping the memories alive without holding onto every single thing - i think taking photos of things and writing the stories behind them is even more valuable than simply keeping them - it is the connection to the item you will be preserving!

    ReplyDelete