Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Monday 4 June 2012

52 Week Challenge – week 22

Declutter your stuff

A long overdue course of action and one I really need to get my head around.  I have a few days off this week so it is a good time to start the declutter.

I’ve read the information provided by Deb (http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/simplify-your-life-week-23-declutter-your-wardrobes/ ) and then read it again.  I know I have to do this especially because I don’t like housework. I have so many nick nacks that take a lot of cleaning (when I do it).

It’s a funny thing isn’t it, I always go on about not wanting to do housework but I keep buying things. I talk about simplifying my life but I keep buying things. As recent as two days ago where I bought 7 new bits of clothes….. well Autograph is closing down in Civic and there are some really good bargains over $400 worth of clothes for $37.  Clothes I will wear.  Ok enough of the justification it happened so I need to build a bridge and get over it. What I need to do is clean out my clothes and get rid of some of the old stuff to make way for the new stuff.

I have a few other keys areas I want to clean up, I don’t think my nearly 16 year old son still needs some of the his toys… yes toys.  I really need to get rid of them or pack them away. The beads that I purchased 6 years ago that have been just sitting there waiting for me to make necklaces need to be cleared out too.  Not to mention the Tupperware draw (LOML will be really happy if I clean that one out). The list goes on and on. Taking another leaf out of Deb’s book I will make a list, or should I say I will conduct an audit of each room and decide what goes and what stays.

Many years ago I started collecting pencil sharpeners in miniature shapes – sounds weird but it was little cannons, radios and the like.  Actually my Mother in law bought me some and the collection just grew and grew. Now it is just a dust collection.  So as much as I loved the gifts from my mother in law out they go……

This is a pretty big step for me, I do hoard things especially things that have an emotional attachment.  I need to separate the two.

One of the things that I have been doing lately is not buying gifts for people. I used to think that buying gifts was a sign of love, respect and just the right thing to do but as I’ve gotten older (and wiser) I’ve changed and send money now and only for close family for the kids.  My friends and I go out for dinner instead. No presents, actually that’s not true, in our time poor world the best gift you can give is the gift of your time. 

So changes have been made and my life is being simplified.

5 comments:

  1. Rita sounds like you have been doing some bargain shopping! Love it! I'm a bit the same as you emotional about throwing things out that someone has bought you even if you don't Love them! Goodluck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I used to buy gifts too, used to think that I loved finding the perfect gift for someone, only to realize that they are better at picking it out themselves, so cash it is nowadays!!! And that pressure of finding something great is off! Hopefully finding a place to put your new clothes will help inspire some decluttering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone thanks so much for your support, I appreciate you dropping by. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Rita! Some awesome bargain shopping and a plan to find room for new things by removing old things. That to me is the perfect, simple way of thinking. Good luck with the rest of the things you want to declutter

    ReplyDelete