Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome,

This is my first blog and I hope to post here every week. I have joined the 52 week challenge and will be sharing my progress and some of my thoughts on looking back to move forward - a journey to weight reduction.
Thanks for joining me on my journey and I hope you enjoy.

Saturday 5 May 2012

52 Week Challenge - Week 18

Procrastinating

In psychology, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority, or doing something from which one derives enjoyment.
Time to do it all
My first thoughts were “nope, not me I don’t procrastinate”.  I do what I have to and that’s that.  But then I thought about it and well the truth of the matter is that I do procrastinate.

I do put things off like the housework, exercising, contacting people that I don’t really want to talk to or handling a situation that I know will bring me grief.  So on second thoughts “yep I do procrastinate”.
Keeping true to form (looking back to move forward),  I’ve looked back over the week and thought about the times when I have procrastinated and looked for the common denominator.

Being a list queen I made a list using:

Procrastination
Why
Effect
How to fix it


I found it came down to two things – not looking silly and being lazy.

Not looking silly:

Once again the lack of confidence raised its ugly head. For me this is a work in progress and each week I am finding there are less times that are influenced by my lack of confidence. Change is happening and whilst it has been slow I know it is lasting.

Being lazy:

Nothing much to do with this but get on with it. I need to make a few plans and stick to it.  Get back to walking and swimming.  I’m meeting my friend on Tuesday for a swim. Walking is a bit harder now that the cold weather has hit Canberra. I need to get back to walking at lunch time and I will. I know what I need to do I just have to do it.

Taking a lesson from last week I am not going to over think it and plan too much I am just going to do it. 

Working with Deb (http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/procrastination/) has helped me to realise that I will achieve the changes I want to make, it may not happen overnight but it will happen.

Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Lord Chesterfield

4 comments:

  1. Self confidence is also one of the reasons I procrastinate too! But now we are aware we are doing it maybe we can make changes for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many of us are right there with you - lack of self confidence and "lazy" are high up there. Love you taking action though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topics for a list. I think I will make something similar - very useful! I procrastinate for the exact same two reasons. I'm tackling the first, and trying hard to move with the second. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep sounds exactly like me! Self confidence is such a big thing, it stops me from doing lots of things and putting off many others! I still think I am a lazy person but Deb suggested one day that I write a "Ta Da" list for a day instead of a To Do list and I was amazed at the amount of jobs I got done in one day. If that was anyone else, I would never call them lazy. What I need to do is become a list queen like you :D I am practising and I can already see the benefit in planning and setting myself goals and limits :)

    ReplyDelete